Natural Resources Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Office of Energy Efficiency Links


Business: Residential

R-2000 Airtightness Testers

Training and Licensing Requirements

Airtightness testers perform blower door tests to determine the airtightness level of R-2000 houses and, if necessary, conduct depressurization tests to identify backdrafting problems with fuel-fired appliances.

To become a licensed R-2000 airtightness tester, you must:

  • Have a professional working level of knowledge in:
    • building science, especially the concept of the "house as a system"
    • conventional and energy-efficient construction practices, especially air/vapour barrier detailing
    • residential heating, cooling and ventilation systems
    • indoor air quality concepts

  • Have access to (but not necessarily own) blower door equipment. Equipment may be loaned by the delivery agent, or loaned or rented by another airtightness tester in the area.

  • Attend the R-2000 Builder Workshop and get a passing grade of 75 percent or higher on the final exam or be an active, authorized EnerGuide for Houses advisor with a minimum of 10 successfully completed house evaluations within the last year.

  • Complete a minimum of two blower door tests on R-2000 houses under the apprenticeship of a licensed R-2000 airtightness tester within three months.

  • Have an active, up-to-date licensing agreement with NRCan, giving you the right to use the R-2000 name and logo, which are trademarks of the Government of Canada.

  • Adhere to the responsibilities for R-2000 airtightness testers outlined by the R -2000 Initiative.

  • Adhere to the R-2000 Code of Ethics.

  • Perform an airtightness test of an R-2000 house and attend the R-2000 Builder Update Workshop at least every two years.

For more information, contact the regional R-2000 delivery agent in your area.

R-2000 is an official mark of Natural Resources Canada.