Lighting – LED Bulbs
LED bulbs are a rapidly emerging substitute for incandescent light bulbs. An ENERGY STAR qualified LED bulb uses about 70% less energy and can last 25 times longer than a typical incandescent bulb. In fact, in order to be qualified, it must be rated to last at least 25,000 hours – the equivalent of about 20 years of normal use!
New industry standards, test procedures, and ENERGY STAR criteria have been developed to better evaluate and compare LED bulb technology with other light sources.
There are many variations in quality and effectiveness of lighting products, so look for the ENERGY STAR symbol. Only products that meet or exceed higher energy efficiency levels, without compromising performance, are allowed to display the symbol.
ENERGY STAR qualified LED bulbs:
- turn on instantly – no warm-up time
- have efficiency equal to, or better than, fluorescent lighting
- allow for precise placement of light due to directional nature
- produce far less heat than an incandescent bulb
- may be dimmable (check packaging)
- are durable and perform well outdoors and in cold temperatures
- have excellent colour quality
- have a minimum three year warranty
- last at least 25,000 hours
For more information: