Procurement – Purchasing Toolkit:
ENERGY STAR® Savings Calculators
Making a Business Case with the ENERGY STAR® Savings Calculators
Buying ENERGY STAR qualified products makes good business sense: these products use less energy than standard equipment, which means they cost less to operate. But how much can you expect to save? The OEE has developed two tools to help you make a business case for ENERGY STAR procurement.
- If you want to compare various models of a single type of product, use the ENERGY STAR Simple Savings Calculator.
- If you want to consider multiple types of products, use the ENERGY STAR Summary Calculator.
The Canadian ENERGY STAR Simple Savings Calculator is an interactive software tool designed to show volume buyers or procurement officials the direct economic and environmental benefits of purchasing an energy-efficient product. It can compare the costs of purchasing multiple energy-efficient products with those of conventional product. Using local utility rates, projected savings can be calculated from reduced energy consumption and maintenance costs. Most of the equipment is ENERGY STAR qualified.
- The calculator allows users to:
- Calculate energy savings
- Predict life-cycle energy and cost savings when replacing standard-efficiency products with energy-efficient ones
- Compare operating costs of various equipment
- Calculate the simple payback on an investment
- Calculate annual greenhouse gas emission reductions
- Compare up to three ENERGY STAR-qualified models with one conventional model at the same time.
The ENERGY STAR Summary Calculator is an "add-on" to the simple savings calculator designed to allow procurement officials to develop scenarios for the purchase of multiple product types, all at once. It is based on the default energy savings resulting from the purchase of one qualified product over one non-qualified product, as built into the simple savings calculator. Users simply enter the number of qualified products of various product types to be purchased and the summary calculator automatically estimates the annual and lifetime energy, cost and emissions savings resulting from the purchase of these multiple products.
Who are these calculators for?
- These ENERGY STAR Savings Calculators are for anyone involved in the life-cycle of energy-efficient equipment, including:
- Product specifiers, designers, engineers, etc.
- Product manufacturers, distributors, retailers, etc.
- Product purchasers, owners, users, etc.
Existing Registrants' Login
If you have already registered or have just completed the registration form, login to check for any updates to the Calculator.