Energy Consumption of Major Household Appliances Shipped in Canada, Trends for 1990-2016
Shipment data for the six major household appliances
- An average set of major appliances consumed 2,600 kWh/yr in 2016 - half as much as a 1990 set.
- Annual electricity costs for an average set of major appliances were $637 in 1990, but only half that ($312) in 2016.
- In 2016, 63% of refrigerators, 96% of dishwashers and 65% of clothes washers were ENERGY STAR® certified.
- In 2016, estimated energy savings from all shipped appliances were 93 PJ - equivalent to one year's energy for about 850,000 households.
Learn more about the improvement in energy consumption
Energy efficiency improvements can be attributed to a variety of factors, including:
- consumer demand for more efficient products
- evolving energy performance standards
- research and development carried out by manufacturers
- the expert information provided by the EnerGuide and ENERGY STAR® initiatives in Canada